Sunday, February 6, 2011

2011 Starting UP! by Ben


The breeze was great, N/NE freshened up to top end second.
Our first race started in my usual style, about 5 minutes late... so we followed a few boats around the course, while I tried out my skinny boat legs. Everything was different and I put it in once or twice.. tried my best to execute the advice Tristan had to offer.
Second race.. hit the line on time, with pace & clear air, just down from the boat. Had to smile as we rolled the fleet off the line - compared to the 505's we were footing like bastards, and every time we came over one they'd pinch a little.. lose pace and die in the arse. heh heh.
Got to the top mark(s) well ahead, but the others and 50's decided to go around the closer etchells mark. Had an awesome run, wind had picked up nicely now and well ahead of the fleet. Misjudged the layline so had to put in three gybes. Last gybe the vang uncleated while tristan dropped the kite. My brain freaked out, (no vang + skinny boat = capsize) so I put my plan into action: had a big wobble and put it in to windward.. no room for error here!
Went around the next lap, mostly driving off the jib in the gusts. Skipping off some awesome ramps and trying to keep it flat. Coulda done with a fruity at the back.. something small happened, maybe lost footing a little and we stuck the nose in for nice mine, both landed at the forestay. Tristan's turn at the helm.. and it's nice at the front of these boats! (for starters, your nose isn't in your crew's bumcrack!)

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment